Monday, August 23, 2010

A Peachy Surprise

I am doing the dance of joy. It's Palisade peaches time in Colorado. I love peaches. Love, love, love 'em. And it just so happens that Palisade peaches are highly prized. People drive for hundreds of miles to load up on this fabulous Grand Valley fruit. And why not? They are absolutely scrumptious. Sweet, juicy. Eat them out of your hand, in a pie, cobbler, shortcake or smoothie. Cut up on your cereal, made into jam or fruit salsa. So many ways to enjoy them. There's only about 60 calories in a medium peach, no fat and 3 grams of fiber. (Hey, is this starting to sound like an ad for the Peach Council?)

Just the other day I cut up a peach to eat with low-fat vanilla yogurt when I stopped and thought, "Wait a minute. What would happen if I warmed up the sliced peach in the microwave and then topped it with the yogurt?" So I placed the bowl of fruit in the micro. After about 45 seconds on high I pulled it out. It smelled wonderful. I added a few dollops of vanilla yogurt and tried it. Mm-mmm. But wait! What if I then added chopped walnuts to the peaches and yogurt? How would that taste? I sprinkled walnut pieces over the top of the yogurt, dipped my spoon into the beautiful concoction and brought it up to my watering mouth. My lips pulled the delicacy onto my tongue. I chewed. I swallowed. The heavens burst open and the Hallelujah Chorus reverberated across the Estes Valley. It was a guiltless culinary success. Sort of like peach cobbler without the crust. Is it a dessert? Breakfast? Snack? I don't know, but I'm calling it "Nutty Peach Surprise". I just made a Nutty Peach Surprise for this photo, and then ate it. I know, I know. The sacrifices I make for those who take the time to read Joyful Altitude. 




















1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment.