Sunday, June 27, 2010

Joyful Celebrations

Lots of activity at the Reinke homestead this week. Dennis spoiled me rotten on my birthday, which was Thursday.  Starbucks' mocha, flowers, breakfast at Meadow Mountain Cafe in Allenspark and a driving tour of the area.  We stopped at a friend's antique shop, then saw Herman at the beautiful Fawnbrook Inn, where we were married on Valentine's Day.  Herman's the chef, and owner along with his wife Meeka. The inn's gardens are in full bloom now.  Hummingbirds everywhere. Breathtaking.

After our Allenspark tour we drove back to Estes Park and spent a couple of hours hitting the thrift shops.  This was completely my idea.  I love thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, Craig's List -- any place where I can find a bargain.  After our shopping spree we enjoyed ice cream cones and a little relaxing back home.  The finale was dinner at The Dunraven Inn owned by Dale and Laurel Hatcher.  Dale sang happy birthday to me when we entered the restaurant.  That was fun.  Dennis had cioppino and I ordered the pesto with grilled shrimp.  Wonderful food, great service and birthday spumoni on the house.  It doesn't get any better than that.

The Scandinavian Festival is taking place in Estes Park this weekend.  Dennis and I purchased four handwoven rugs from Donna Erickson of Kangas Weaving.  I hesitate to use the term "rag rugs", as although these beauties are made from recycled material, they are far from typical rag rugs.  They are tightly woven, high quality works of art.  Donna and her mother Margaret were kind enough to pose with Dennis for this snapshot.  Gotta love cell phones with cameras. -- NR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.