Saturday, October 8, 2011

First Snow in Neverland

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" 
-- J.B. Priestly

Snow like a billowy white comforter has covered our homestead, and fall has temporarily conceded to winter. That proclamation makes me smile, for I always said I would never again live in a cold climate. But then, I've done a lot of things I said I'd never do. Such as marrying again after my first husband died. And before that, leaving California to move back to the midwest. Silly me. Never say never. Or, as Dennis commented to me earlier this week, "Never say never. It never worked before." He's right. I once said, "I'll never live in Hawaii," hoping that by saying "never", I could manipulate the outcome in a sort of positive-negative way. It didn't work. So far I've never lived in Hawaii and I probably never will. But. . .never say never.

As it turns out, though, I'm content right here. Snow in October and all. I know in a day or two the sun will emerge in all it's glory and warmth, and the winter wonderland will melt away. In the meantime, I'm enjoying a cup of steaming java, as the pristine flakes gently fall outside. Except for the occasional whinnying of the horses, all is quiet. And I declare I've never lived in a more enchanted place.

"She is not afraid of the snow for her household, 
For all her household are clothed with scarlet."
Proverbs 31:21

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.