Sunday, November 20, 2011

Will Toilet Paper Become Obsolete?

"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water." -- Carl Reiner

We woke up to fresh snow this morning. This must be the fourth or fifth snow storm we've had since October. When I became an adult I lost my fascination with the white stuff, but now that I live in the mountains, snow and I have become friends again. Maybe it's the beautiful white-tipped evergreens that have won me over, or the winter sunshine that paints gray shadows on the white, billowy canvas.Then again, it could be the simple fact that I work from home and don't have to navigate through the snow, unless I want to. The answer is "D"-- All of the Above.


Earlier this week, I came across a blog that I filed under "E" for ee-yew. The blogger extolled the virtues of "family wipes". These are reusable cloth wipes designed to replace toilet paper. Yes, folks. Nix the toilet paper and use cloth wipes instead. Apparently, the "used" cloth wipes are held in a designated container close to the toilet. When the container is full, a lucky family member gets the jolly job of throwing the whole kit and kaboodle in the clothes washer for cleaning. Then the wipes are dried, taken back to the bathroom, and the process repeated.


Ok, now I believe in frugality. I also respect the environment (I don't worship it, I respect it). But cloth wipes are just a little too au naturel for me. I like my toilet paper. I like the fact it's on a roll. I like seeing it disappear when I flush the commode. And I love the fact that I don't have to put it in my washer and wash it, followed by washing my other clothes in the same washer. Get my drift? 


If you think family wipes are the next best thing to sliced bread, more power to you. Just let me know that you've switched to cloth before you invite me to your house. I'll make sure I bring my old-fashioned, environmentally unfriendly, horribly expensive toilet paper with me. 


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. (I'm thanking God for t.p.)


Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.