Monday, January 31, 2011

My Great Estate

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival."

I've been thinking a lot about friends lately.  Friends are a huge blessing. Emily Dickinson said friends were her estate. I get that. My friends make me feel rich in ways that money never will. 

My best earthly friend is Dennis. There's no one I'd rather spend time with; no one I'd rather talk to. I believe everyone's best friend should be their spouse. I'll bet the rate of divorce would greatly decrease if that was the case.

This morning my best friend came back from Starbucks with a breakfast surprise. A slice of Reduced Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake, my favorite Starbucks treat. I appreciate the fact that it's reduced fat, but if it wasn't I'd eat it anyway, just because it's so darned good. And because it's chocolate. Chocolate and coffee belong together. End of discussion.

The red Starbucks cup is a Christmas gift from Dennis. (Yes, I make Starbucks coffee at home, but Dennis goes to Starbucks anyway. It's his social hour with his friends.) Our friend Keely -- the Starbucks barista -- wrote the girlfriend greeting on the sack before handing it to Dennis. It made me smile to see it. 


Jesus Christ had something very important to say about friendship. . .


"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."
John 15:13


He also said. . .

"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 

No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."  John 10:17-18




For this reason Jesus is my Great Estate.



2 comments:

  1. I love your referring to our friendship with Jesus as our "great estate." Scripture says, "in Him we live and move and have our being." And in that big estate, we have lots of glorious little estates, like you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dena. I feel the same way about you. You're a jewel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.